Sampson County, North Carolina Genealogy
Sampson County, North Carolina genealogy and family history research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources that can help you locate your personal Sampson Co., ancestors. Start now by putting together a Free Family Tree. Sampson County Quick Facts are:
- Government Website: www.sampsonnc.com
- Created Date / Origin: 1784 from Duplin County
- County Seat: Clinton
- Named After: John Sampson, a member of Josiah Martin's council
- Bordering Counties: Johnston County (north), Wayne County (northeast), Duplin County (east), Pender County (southeast), Bladen County (southwest), Cumberland County (west), Harnett County (northwest)
- Townships: Belvoir, Dismal, Franklin, Halls, Herring, Honeycutt, Lisbon, Little Coharie, McDaniels, Mingo, Newton Grove, North Clinton, Piney Grove, Plain View, South Clinton, South River, Taylors Bridge, Turkey, and Westbrook
- Cities & Towns: Autryville, Bonnetsville, Clinton, Delway, Garland, Ingold, Ivanhoe, Keener, Newton Grove, Plain View, Roseboro, Salemburg, Spiveys Corner, Turkey, Vann Crossroads
Sampson County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Sampson County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also North Carolina Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
Sampson County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically forget about the importance of Sampson County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogy information. Buried away in North Carolina courthouses and archives everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of the many North Carolina men and women.
The possibilities are excellent that your ancestors have left a detailed record of at least some elements of their lives in the Sampson County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's dept to identify hours, mailing address, fees and other facts just before visiting or asking for information because of many times changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will assist individuals in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the individual to undertake the basic research.
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Sampson County. The years pointed out listed below are the first noted records with this county. Some County Courthouse records may have been destroyed in 1865 and by the clerk's office fire in 1921.
- Sampson County Register of Deeds holds land and vital records if they have not been transferred to the state archives in Raleigh. Land records may include deeds, grants, plats, and other miscellaneous items. houses most birth and death records and marriage licenses for Sampson County.
- Address: 126-A W. Elizabeth Street, Clinton, North Carolina 28328
- Phone: (910) 592-8026
- Birth Records: 1913
- Marriage Records: 1867
- Death Records: 1913
- Land Records: 1752
- Sampson County Clerk of Court holds probate records and court records if they have not been transferred to the state archives in Raleigh. Probate records include not only wills, but also loose estates records. Court records may include apprentice bonds, bastardy bonds, and officials' or constables' bonds in addition to dockets, fee and account books, and court minutes and orders. They also have Divorce Records.
- Address:101 E. Main St, Clinton, North Carolina 28328
- Phone: (910) 592-5191
- Probate Records: 1778
- Court Records: 1790
- Divorce Records: call court clerk for details
- Sampson County Tax Assessor / Collector
- North Carolina Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in North Carolina for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events. They are prime sources for genealogical information.
North Carolina Historical Records
- Databases include North Carolina Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; North Carolina Birth, Marriage & Death Records; North Carolina Voter Lists & Census Records; North Carolina Immigration & Emigration Records; North Carolina Obituary Records; North Carolina Military Records; North Carolina Family Tree Records; North Carolina Pictures; North Carolina Stories, Memories & Histories; North Carolina Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Sampson County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Sampson County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is merely a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to furnish your own most popular Sampson County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Sampson Co. NC Books, Newspapers & Publications
Sampson Co. NC Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Sampson Co. NC Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Sampson Co. NC Census Records
Sampson Co. NC Cemeteries & Graveyards
Sampson Co. NC Church & Bible Records
Sampson Co. NC Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Sampson Co. NC General and History Websites
Sampson Co. NC Immigration & Naturalization
Sampson Co. NC Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Sampson Co. NC Military Records
Sampson Co. NC Schools & Directories