Rowan County, North Carolina Genealogy
Rowan County, North Carolina genealogy and family history research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources that can help you locate your personal Rowan Co., ancestors. Start now by putting together a Free Family Tree. Rowan County Quick Facts are:
- Government Website: www.rowancountync.gov
- Created Date / Origin: 1753 from Anson County
- County Seat: Salisbury
- Named After: Matthew Rowan (d. 1769), was the acting Governor of colonial North Carolina following the death of Governor Nathaniel Rice
- Bordering Counties: Davie County (north), Davidson County (northeast), Stanly County (southeast), Cabarrus County (south), Iredell County (west)
- Townships: Atwell, China Grove, Cleveland, East Spencer, Franklin, Gold Hill, Kannapolis, Litaker, Locke, Morgan, Mount Ulla, Providence, Rockwell, Salisbury, Scotch Irish, Spencer, Steele, and Unity
- Cities & Towns: China Grove, Cleveland, East Spencer, Enochville, Faith, Granite Quarry, Kannapolis, Landis, Rockwell, Salisbury, Spencer
Rowan County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Rowan County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also North Carolina Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
Rowan County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically forget about the importance of Rowan County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogy information. Buried away in North Carolina courthouses and archives everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of the many North Carolina men and women.
The possibilities are excellent that your ancestors have left a detailed record of at least some elements of their lives in the Rowan County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's dept to identify hours, mailing address, fees and other facts just before visiting or asking for information because of many times changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will assist individuals in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the individual to undertake the basic research.
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Rowan County. The years pointed out listed below are the first noted records with this county. The County Courthouse records were destroyed due to Civil War Action in 1865.
- Rowan County Register of Deeds holds land and vital records if they have not been transferred to the state archives in Raleigh. Land records may include deeds, grants, plats, and other miscellaneous items. houses most birth and death records and marriage licenses for Rowan County.
- Address: 402 North Main Street Salisbury, NC 28144
- Phone: 704-216-8626
- Birth Records: 1913
- Marriage Records: 1753
- Death Records: 1913
- Land Records: 1753
- Rowan County Clerk of Court holds probate records and court records if they have not been transferred to the state archives in Raleigh. Probate records include not only wills, but also loose estates records. Court records may include apprentice bonds, bastardy bonds, and officials' or constables' bonds in addition to dockets, fee and account books, and court minutes and orders. They also have Divorce Records.
- Address:210 N Main St, Salisbury, NC 28144-4374
- Phone: 704-797-3001
- Probate Records: 1743
- Court Records: 1753
- Divorce Records: call court clerk for details
- Rowan County Tax Assessor / Collector
- North Carolina Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in North Carolina for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events. They are prime sources for genealogical information.
Rowan County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Rowan County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is merely a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to furnish your own most popular Rowan County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Rowan Co. NC Books, Newspapers & Publications
Rowan Co. NC Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Rowan Co. NC Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Rowan Co. NC Census Records
Rowan Co. NC Cemeteries & Graveyards
Rowan Co. NC Church & Bible Records
Rowan Co. NC Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Rowan Co. NC General and History Websites
Rowan Co. NC Immigration & Naturalization
Rowan Co. NC Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Rowan Co. NC Military Records
Rowan Co. NC Schools & Directories