Mecklenburg County, North Carolina Genealogy
Mecklenburg County, North Carolina genealogy and family history research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources that can help you locate your personal Mecklenburg Co., ancestors. Start now by putting together a Free Family Tree. Mecklenburg County Quick Facts are:
- Government Website: charmeck.org
- Created Date / Origin: 1762 from Anson County
- County Seat: Charlotte
- Named After: Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz (1744–1818), the queen consort of George III of the United Kingdom
- Bordering Counties: Iredell County (north), Cabarrus County (northeast), Union County (southeast), Lancaster County, SC (south), York County, SC (southwest), Gaston County (west), Lincoln County (northwest)
- Townships: City of Charlotte and the towns of Cornelius, Davidson, and Huntersville (north of Charlotte); and the towns of Matthews, Mint Hill, and Pineville (south and east of Charlotte)
- Cities & Towns: Charlotte, Cornelius, Davidson, Huntersville, Matthews, Mint Hill, Pineville
Mecklenburg County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Mecklenburg County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also North Carolina Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
Mecklenburg County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically forget about the importance of Mecklenburg County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogy information. Buried away in North Carolina courthouses and archives everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of the many North Carolina men and women.
The possibilities are excellent that your ancestors have left a detailed record of at least some elements of their lives in the Mecklenburg County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's dept to identify hours, mailing address, fees and other facts just before visiting or asking for information because of many times changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will assist individuals in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the individual to undertake the basic research.
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Mecklenburg County. The years pointed out listed below are the first noted records with this county.
- Mecklenburg County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 832 East Fourth St, Charlotte, NC 28202
- Mecklenburg County Register of Deeds holds land and vital records if they have not been transferred to the state archives in Raleigh. Land records may include deeds, grants, plats, and other miscellaneous items. houses most birth and death records and marriage licenses for Mecklenburg County.
- Phone: 704-336-2443
- Birth Records: 1913
- Marriage Records: 1783
- Death Records: 1913
- Land Records: 1762
- Mecklenburg County Clerk of Court holds probate records and court records if they have not been transferred to the state archives in Raleigh. Probate records include not only wills, but also loose estates records. Court records may include apprentice bonds, bastardy bonds, and officials' or constables' bonds in addition to dockets, fee and account books, and court minutes and orders. They also have Divorce Records.
- Phone: 704-686-0420
- Probate Records: 1713
- Court Records: 1774
- Divorce Records: call court clerk for details
- Mecklenburg County Tax Assessor / Collector
- North Carolina Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in North Carolina for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events. They are prime sources for genealogical information.
Mecklenburg County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Mecklenburg County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is merely a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to furnish your own most popular Mecklenburg County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Mecklenburg Co. NC Books, Newspapers & Publications
Mecklenburg Co. NC Birth, Marriage & Death Records
- See Also Statewide Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Records in North Carolina
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records (archives.com)
- Marriages of Mecklenburg County, North Carolina 1783-1868 (search.ancestry.com)
- Death notices from the Mecklenburg Jeffersonian, Charlotte, N.C., 1841-1849 (search.ancestry.com)
- North Carolina, County Marriages, 1762-1979 (familysearch.org)
- Mecklenburg Co., NC GenWeb Archives Marriage Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Mecklenburg County, North Carolina Marriage Project (http://usgwarchives.net)
- Mecklenburg Co., NC GenWeb Archives Births & Deaths Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Social Security Death Index (search.ancestry.com)
Mecklenburg Co. NC Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Mecklenburg Co. NC Census Records
Mecklenburg Co. NC Cemeteries & Graveyards
Mecklenburg Co. NC Church & Bible Records
Mecklenburg Co. NC Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Mecklenburg Co. NC General and History Websites
Mecklenburg Co. NC Immigration & Naturalization
Mecklenburg Co. NC Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Mecklenburg Co. NC Military Records
Mecklenburg Co. NC Schools & Directories