Caswell County, North Carolina Genealogy
Caswell County, North Carolina genealogy and family history research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources that can help you locate your personal Caswell Co., ancestors. Start now by putting together a Free Family Tree. Caswell County Quick Facts are:
- Government Website: www.caswellcountync.gov/
- Created Date / Origin: 1777 from Orange County
- County Seat: Yanceyville
- Named After: Richard Caswell (1729–1789), member of the first Continental Congress and first governor of North Carolina after the Declaration of Independence
- Bordering Counties: City of Danville, VA (north), Pittsylvania County, VA (north), Halifax County, VA (northeast), Person County (east), Orange County (southeast), Alamance County (southwest), Rockingham County ( west)
- Townships: Anderson, Dan River, Hightowers, Leasburg, Locust Hill, Milton, Pelham, Stoney Creek, and Yanceyville
- Cities & Towns: Milton, Yanceyville, Casville, Leasburg, Pelham, Prospect Hill, Purley, Semora
Caswell County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Caswell County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also North Carolina Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- North Carolina State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Caswell County Historical Assoc., Inc., P.O. Box 278, Yanceyville, NC 27379
- Virginia-North Carolina Piedmont Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 2272, Danville 24541-0272 - Serving the counties of Franklin, Henry, Pittsylvania and Halifax in Virginia and Rockingham, Caswell and Person in North Carolina
- Caswell County, North Carolina Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Caswell County
- Caswell County, North Carolina Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Caswell County
Caswell County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically forget about the importance of Caswell County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogy information. Buried away in North Carolina courthouses and archives everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of the many North Carolina men and women.
The possibilities are excellent that your ancestors have left a detailed record of at least some elements of their lives in the Caswell County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's dept to identify hours, mailing address, fees and other facts just before visiting or asking for information because of many times changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will assist individuals in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the individual to undertake the basic research.
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Caswell County. The years pointed out listed below are the first noted records with this county.
- Caswell County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 139 East Church St, Yanceyville, NC 27379
- Phone: (336) 459-4000
- Caswell County Register of Deeds holds land and vital records if they have not been transferred to the state archives in Raleigh. Land records may include deeds, grants, plats, and other miscellaneous items. houses most birth and death records and marriage licenses for Caswell County.
- Phone: 336-694-4197
- Birth Records: 1913
- Marriage Records: 1775
- Death Records: 1913
- Land Records: 1777
- Caswell County Clerk of Court holds probate records and court records if they have not been transferred to the state archives in Raleigh. Probate records include not only wills, but also loose estates records. Court records may include apprentice bonds, bastardy bonds, and officials' or constables' bonds in addition to dockets, fee and account books, and court minutes and orders. They also have Divorce Records.
- Phone: 336-694-4171
- Probate Records: 1771
- Court Records: 1767
- Divorce Records: call court clerk for details
- Caswell County Tax Assessor / Collector
- North Carolina Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in North Carolina for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events. They are prime sources for genealogical information.
North Carolina Historical Records
- Databases include North Carolina Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; North Carolina Birth, Marriage & Death Records; North Carolina Voter Lists & Census Records; North Carolina Immigration & Emigration Records; North Carolina Obituary Records; North Carolina Military Records; North Carolina Family Tree Records; North Carolina Pictures; North Carolina Stories, Memories & Histories; North Carolina Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Caswell County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Caswell County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is merely a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to furnish your own most popular Caswell County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Caswell Co. NC Books, Newspapers & Publications
Caswell Co. NC Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Caswell Co. NC Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
- See Also North Carolina Court, Land, Tax & Probate Records
- Order County Court, Civil or Criminal Records Online
- Caswell County, NC Will Books, 1777-1843; 1784 Tax List; and Guardians' Accounts, 1794-1819 (search.ancestry.com)
- Guide to Research Materials in the North Carolina State Archives: Caswell County Records
- Caswell Co., NC GenWeb Archives Court Records (usgwarchives.net)
- County Records in the North Carolina State Archives
- Caswell Co., NC GenWeb Archives Wills & Estate Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Caswell Co., NC GenWeb Archives Deed Records (usgwarchives.net)
- North Carolina, County Records, 1833-1970 (familysearch.org)
- BLM Land Records (glorecords.blm.gov)
Caswell Co. NC Census Records
Caswell Co. NC Cemeteries & Graveyards
Caswell Co. NC Church & Bible Records
Caswell Co. NC Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Caswell Co. NC General and History Websites
Caswell Co. NC Immigration & Naturalization
Caswell Co. NC Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Caswell Co. NC Military Records
Caswell Co. NC Schools & Directories