Brunswick County, North Carolina Genealogy
Brunswick County, North Carolina genealogy and family history research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources that can help you locate your personal Brunswick Co., ancestors. Start now by putting together a Free Family Tree. Brunswick County Quick Facts are:
- Government Website: www.brunswickcountync.gov/
- Created Date / Origin: 1764 from Bladen County and New Hanover County
- County Seat: Bolivia
- Named After: George I of Great Britain (1660–1727), Duke of Brunswick and Lüneburg
- Bordering Counties: Pender County (northeast), New Hanover County (east), Horry County, SC (southwest), Columbus County (northwest)
- Townships: Lockwoods Folly, Northwest, Shallotte, Smithville, Town Creek, and Waccamaw
- Cities & Towns: Bald Head Island, Belville, Boiling Spring Lakes, Bolivia, Calabash, Carolina Shores, Caswell Beach, Holden Beach, Leland, Navassa, Northwest, Oak Island, Ocean Isle Beach, Sandy Creek, Shallotte, Southport, St. James, Sunset Beach, Varnamtown, Winnabow, Piney Grove
Brunswick County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Brunswick County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also North Carolina Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
Brunswick County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically forget about the importance of Brunswick County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogy information. Buried away in North Carolina courthouses and archives everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of the many North Carolina men and women.
The possibilities are excellent that your ancestors have left a detailed record of at least some elements of their lives in the Brunswick County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's dept to identify hours, mailing address, fees and other facts just before visiting or asking for information because of many times changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will assist individuals in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the individual to undertake the basic research.
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Brunswick County. The years pointed out listed below are the first noted records with this county. The County Courthouse was destroyed in 1865 from the civil war, and 1957 in a clerk's office fire. Some records were destroyed in the 1865 fire.
- Brunswick County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 310 Government Center Drive, NE, Bolivia, NC 28422
- Phone: 1-800-442-7033
- Brunswick County Register of Deeds holds land and vital records if they have not been transferred to the state archives in Raleigh. Land records may include deeds, grants, plats, and other miscellaneous items. houses most birth and death records and marriage licenses for Brunswick County.
- Address: 75 Courthouse Dr. Building I Bolivia, NC 28422
- Phone:(910) 253-2690
- Birth Records: 1914
- Marriage Records: 1804
- Death Records: 1914
- Land Records: 1764
- Brunswick County Clerk of Court holds probate records and court records if they have not been transferred to the state archives in Raleigh. Probate records include not only wills, but also loose estates records. Court records may include apprentice bonds, bastardy bonds, and officials' or constables' bonds in addition to dockets, fee and account books, and court minutes and orders. They also have Divorce Records.
- Phone:(910) 253-3900
- Probate Records: 1764
- Court Records: 1782
- Divorce Records: call court clerk for details
- Brunswick County Tax Assessor / Collector
- North Carolina Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in North Carolina for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events. They are prime sources for genealogical information.
North Carolina Historical Records
- Databases include North Carolina Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; North Carolina Birth, Marriage & Death Records; North Carolina Voter Lists & Census Records; North Carolina Immigration & Emigration Records; North Carolina Obituary Records; North Carolina Military Records; North Carolina Family Tree Records; North Carolina Pictures; North Carolina Stories, Memories & Histories; North Carolina Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Brunswick County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Brunswick County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is merely a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to furnish your own most popular Brunswick County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Brunswick Co. NC Books, Newspapers & Publications
Brunswick Co. NC Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Brunswick Co. NC Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Brunswick Co. NC Census Records
Brunswick Co. NC Cemeteries & Graveyards
Brunswick Co. NC Church & Bible Records
Brunswick Co. NC Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Brunswick Co. NC General and History Websites
Brunswick Co. NC Immigration & Naturalization
Brunswick Co. NC Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Brunswick Co. NC Military Records
Brunswick Co. NC Schools & Directories